When I was a child in France they had us memorize poetry and recite them by standing in front of the class.
Memorizing the lines was pure drudgery and standing in from of class was the ultimate torture.
I never thought I would actually be grateful one day that they had made us learn all this stuff.
With summer finally being here, the sun steadily shining, the birds chirping and everyone getting ready to make the most of life, one of the fables we learned comes back to mind.
The ant and the cicada
It’s a cute story that you may know about an ant, a cicada and their different approach to life:
It’s summer and the cicada is living life and singing. The ant, well, she’s an ant: methodical, hard-working and driven.
Guess what happens when fall comes?
If you don’t know, I am not telling you, you’ll have to read it for yourself.
All this to say that we are about to hit the 6 months mark. Half a year is gone by already and next year is almost around the corner!
You think I am exaggerating?
- Summertime is party-time so you’re probably going to be busy with friends and vacations.
- In September it’s back to school, things get really busy.
- Then it’s Halloween and wrapping up the year, that’s when everybody is su-per busy!
- Afterwards it’s the holiday season and with the gifts, the traveling, the family and all that, everybody is going to be … yes, extremely busy!
And you see, just like that the year is over!
Life has happened to you, you’re nowhere near to reaching your objectives and you’re making promises to yourself again that next year will be different.
But will it be, really?
The summer trap
For many people summer is the best time of the year. That’s when they forget about everything… even what they need to do to be successful.
That’s the summer trap!
But it could be called the back to school trap or the holiday season trap.#Success takes daily action. Avoid the summer trap: Click To Tweet
There’s always going to be something happening: vacations, children, bosses, clients, life’s challenges.
The time will never be right.
It’s your attitude about what happens in your life that will make or break you: whether you are an ant or a cicada basically.
- If you’re a cicada, enjoy your summer however be sure to take a couple of cues from the ant and make plans for fall.
- If you’re an ant, I know you’ll be prepared for whatever comes your way, remember life is not only about work, it’s also meant to be fun.
Edited on July 26th, 2018.
If you’d like to avoid the summer trap and stay on top of your dream building efforts, join my summer challenge to a clear picture of where you are standing and set yourself up to finish the year with a bang.
Pin this for later.